The Initial Guess property controls the first guess that a solver section makes for a solver variable.
Solver sections solve linear systems of equations using matrix calculations, but non-linear sections are solved using iterative methods. For these iterative methods, Blockpad uses a default first guess, which is typically sufficient. However, sometimes it's necessary to provide a first guess for non-linear systems of equations, especially if there are units involved.
Set an initial guess:
- In a solver section, select the solver variable you wish to set the guess for.
- The solver variables are located at the bottom of the solver section, in the shaded area.
- Open the properties window.
- Under Object, click Initial Guess.
- Enter an initial guess.
- The initial guess box is a formula, so you can enter a number, a value reference, or a calculation.
- It is often necessary to input an initial guess with units for non-linear equations with units.